Software Maintenance is a process of modifying a software system after delivery to correct the faults, add new features and to remove obsolete functions. Maintenance process varies considerably depending on the type of the software being maintained. The most expensive part of the software life cycle is a software maintenance process. There are some models for the maintenance of the software system, Quick-fix model is one of them. Quick-fix Model :
- It is basically an adhoc approach to maintain software.
- It is a fire fighting approach waiting for the problem to occur and then trying to fix it as quick as possible.
- The main objective of this model is to identify the problem and then fix it as soon as possible.
- In this model, changes are made at code level as early as possible without accepting future problems.
- This model is an approach to modify the software code without little consideration of its impact on the overall structure of the software system.
- As a result of this model, the structure of the software degrade rapidly
- The main advantage is that it performs its work at low cost and very quickly.
- Sometimes, users don’t wait for the long time. Rather, they require the modified software to be delivered to them in the least possible time. As a result, the software maintenance team needs to use a quick-fix model to avoid the time consuming process of Software maintenance life cycle.
- This model is also advantageous in situations where the software system is to be maintained with certain deadlines and limited resources.
- This model is not suitable for large project system.
- This model is not suitable to fix errors for a longer period, as the structure of the software system degrade rapidly.